LAB MEMBERSHIP - a Few of the Many Benefits & Services
- LAB’s Legal Hotline is available, FREE, to every LAB Member Station. LAB Legal General Counsel Charles Spencer is available to answer your industry-related questions.
- ABIP – Alternative Broadcast Inspection Program is the cheapest ‘insurance policy’ you can get to protect your station. Don’t forget to check the expiration date on your ‘Certificate of Compliance’! Is it time again to have your station inspected to insure that you are in full compliance and be guaranteed IMMUNITY from random FCC inspections?
- Career Center - a secure website, where stations’ employment opportunities may be posted. Individuals seeking careers in broadcasting can submit ‘resumes’ online, as well.
- Scholarships - Two $4,000 scholarships are awarded, annually, to fulltime students attending a Louisiana University and majoring in Broadcast Journalism and one $2,000 scholarship for a Louisiana Community College. LAB has partnered with LSU School of Mass Communications in an effort to stimulate greater interest in broadcasting among younger people. High school students and advisors are eligible to attend a weeklong session at LSU’s campus; LAB contributes to underwriting their expenses; Broadcasters assist with class lectures; and individual broadcast stations are given the opportunity to sponsor a student and/or advisor from their area.
- Paid Internships – LAB conducts a “lottery”, that is open to all members, for seven (7) $1000.00 awards, to assist stations in or enable them to pay their interns.
- TV Small Market Idea Exchange Scholarship – Annually, LAB conducts a “lottery” for FIVE (5) ‘Tuition Only’ Scholarships to assist in defraying expenses for member stations’ employees attending the TV Small Market Idea Exchange.
- Radio Show/DASH Scholarships – Annually, LAB conducts a “lottery” for FIVE (5) ‘Tuition Only’ Scholarships to assist in defraying expenses for member stations’ employees attending the Radio or Dash Fall Conference.
- LAB has retained a full-time Lobbyist to monitor and address broadcast related issues on both State and National Levels..
- Filing of Legal Comments/Briefs with local, state and federal agencies – briefs/comments that support Louisiana broadcasters
- Financial support for radio broadcasters that were severely impacted by hurricanes or other disasters. A fund was established and continues to be maintained for future emergencies.
- Coordination, enhancement and execution of Louisiana’s Emergency Alert System to insure every broadcaster in the state is in a position to comply with FCC rules pertaining to keeping the public informed during emergencies & has played a key role in the planning and implementation of 3 National EAS Summits, held in Washington, DC.
- Serving as the first Point of Contact for every significant issue from federal, state and local government officials.
- Complimentary use of 1,700 sq. ft. Meeting Room for company meetings, training sessions and discounted rates for evening functions located at the LAB Office.
- LAB is the accredited source for issuance of MEDIA Credentials, recognized by the Louisiana State Police and other agencies.
- Annually, LAB sponsors a delegation of Louisiana Broadcasters to travel to DC for NAB’s State Leadership Conference. During the 2-3 day conference attendees are briefed on the most current issues pending in Congress and before the FCC. One full day is devoted to meeting with all Members of Louisiana’s Congressional Delegation. Numerous ‘other trips’ to our Nation’s Capital are made on an ‘as-needed’ basis to address industry related issues.
- Annual Meet & Greet events for station owners and general managers to meet with State Legislators throughout Louisiana.
- Monthly e-Newsletter delivered to all members and subscribers, including calendar of events, political issues, industry news and current PEP programs.
- LAB has established a strong working relationship with Members of the Federal Communications Commission.
- LAB Headquarter/Office is available to accommodate Members in times of emergencies, for individual meetings, training sessions/workshops and 'office space’ for reporters when in Baton Rouge covering media events including legislative session.
- LAB offers free, or drastically reduced rates, Professional Training at our Annual Convention and various seminars throughout the year, including: web-based training, sales, programming, engineering, human resources, political advertising, EEO compliance and news.
- LAB holds its Annual Prestige Awards competition to recognize excellence in broadcasting.
- LAB has a full time Staff to serve the Association.
- LAB Members receive timely industry news and critical information necessary for the successful day-to-day operation of their broadcast stations.
- LAB Members are eligible to participate in a variety of Programs that are offered at little or no cost.
The Louisiana Association of Broadcasters is the only statewide organization that offers these valuable services, as well as networking opportunities, to its members.
Join or renew your LAB membership today!